Terms & Conditions
Terms and Conditions
- Throughout this document Giving & Getting Ltd is abbreviated to G&G and is also referred to with the terms 'we', 'us', 'our', etc.
- The member(s) of G&G is/are often referred to with the words 'you', 'your', 'yours', etc.
- The term 'getter' is used to describe the member who is the recipient of an activity and gives tokens for it.
- The term 'giver' is used to describe the member who is the provider of an activity and gets tokens for it.
- A 'transaction' is when the 'giver' and 'getter' have agreed to an activity and tokens have been exchanged.
- By joining G&G you are declaring that you are 18 years old or older.
- By joining G&G, you indicate that you accept these Terms and Conditions and agree to abide by them.
- G&G provides a system through which members can give and get mutual help and support, share skills, give favours, treats and other items, borrow and lend items and provide accommodation.
- Currently, membership of G&G and the use of the website to give and get is free. G&G reserve the right to introduce nominal charges in the future.
- The G&G system allocates tokens for each activity. This is based on time, expertise, effort and financial cost. G&G moves the requisite number of tokens between members as they give and get. G&G tokens have no monetary value and can only be exchanged between G&G members using the G&G website. G&G reserve the right to change the number of tokens allocated for any activity at their discretion and without notice.
- If a member makes a specific offer they can decide how many tokens they want for that offer. Similarly a member making a request for an unlisted activity must specify the number of tokens he/she is prepared to give for that activity.
- G&G tokens are transferred from the 'getting' member to the 'giving' member when a transaction is agreed. No money will be exchanged between members in payment of any requests met or for offers made. For example when a member provides a lift they have to pay for the petrol themselves.
- For further information regarding giving lifts, please see our Lifts Policy. This forms part of these Terms and Conditions.
- For further information regarding borrowing and lending things please see our Borrowing and Lending Policy. This forms part of these Terms and Conditions.
- Members cannot make any financial profit from providing activities, services or goods through G&G.
- G&G maintains a record of all giving and getting activity between members ensuring that members' token accounts are kept up to date.
- On joining G&G the new member is allocated 50 tokens. The member earns tokens by 'giving' and spends tokens by 'getting'. There is a maximum number of 100 tokens that any one member can hold. This prevents members building up excessive token reserves. Once the maximum is reached the member needs to 'spend' some tokens. Similarly, the minimum number of tokens is zero and if that is reached then the member needs to 'earn' some tokens.
- Members agree to G&G holding their details on computer and distributing telephone details between relevant members when a G&G activity has been agreed.
- Membership of G&G does not guarantee that you will receive offers in response to your requests.
- G&G is not a party to any agreement between a 'giver' and a 'getter' and as such G&G accept no liability for loss or injury or damage to property or person suffered by any person as a result of the provision of goods or services of any kind whatsoever under the scheme. Your interactions with other members are at your own risk. G&G shall not be held liable for any consequences arising out of meetings between members. You should take reasonable precautions to ensure your safety.
- Notwithstanding the above, nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall limit in any way our liability caused by our negligence which cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law.
- G&G members take individual responsibility for decisions on which offers they will accept in response to their requests.
- G&G can give no warranty or undertaking as to the value, condition or quality of services or items offered. Members should seek to determine for themselves the safety, quality or standard of work or equipment offered before agreeing to accept an offer.
- When two members agree on a transaction then that constitutes a contract between them only. G&G implements the transfer of tokens as a service, but G&G is not a party to the contract. Those members are then obligated to execute the contract. G&G will have no responsibility or liability for any breach of contract should either member fail to honour the contract.
- G&G does not guarantee or warrant that any of the information provided in or via the website is accurate or reliable. G&G shall have no liability to you arising out of your use of G&G or your reliance on any information or advice provided by other Members. You rely on it at your own risk.
- Where the G&G website contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only. We have no control over the content of those sites or resources, and accept no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them.
- Members agree to use all reasonable endeavours to honour offers they have made to other members. If, however, a member finds that they are no longer able to meet an agreed offer then the system will enable them to report this and for the tokens to be returned to the other member. However tokens can only be returned with the agreement of both parties, G&G are unable to arbitrate between members.
- G&G regularly review our site to check for any illegal, immoral or inappropriate use or any abuse or interference of our site, in accordance with our Acceptable Use Policy. G&G reserve the right to take action (including without limitation removing any offending information or material and/or suspending or terminating ability to use our site and/or taking such legal action as we may in our absolute discretion consider necessary or desirable).
- If you experience any issues or difficulties relating to another member or you are concerned about the behaviour of another member or are concerned about any inappropriate or illegal use of the site or any issue which contravenes the provisions of our Acceptable Use Policy please immediately notify G&G.
- The G&G team reserves the right to terminate memberships at any time. The G&G team may seek explanations from a person whose activity is considered to be inappropriate and/or contrary to the interests of the membership and in the last resort may remove members from the scheme at their absolute discretion. Once a person's membership has been terminated they will not be allowed to rejoin.
- Your individual details and password are personal to you and are not transferable. You are responsible for keeping them secure. You should protect against unauthorized access to your computer. Ensure that you sign off when you finish using a shared or public computer.
- You must notify G&G immediately of any apparent breach of security such as loss, theft, or unauthorised disclosure or use of your email or password and in such cases you should immediately amend your password using the Service.
- A charge will be made for any advertising on the website. This will be negotiated directly with the advertiser or their agent.
- Any changes made to these Terms and Conditions will be notified to all members by email and will also be highlighted on the Home Page. Continued use of the G&G site means that you have read and agreed to these changes.
- G&G does not provide any warranty or guarantee in respect of the availability of the website except that we will use our reasonable endeavours to rectify serious faults as soon as practical though not within any particular timescale.
- G&G reserve the right to make changes to the website provided that those changes do not have a material adverse effect on the quality of the Service.
- G&G reserve the right to suspend the Service without notice for repair, maintenance or other technical reasons.
https://www.givingandgetting.net is a site operated by Giving & Getting Ltd., a limited company registered in England and Wales under company number 8855306. For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), Giving & Getting Ltd. is the data controller.
G&G is registered with the Information Commissioner's Office for England and Wales with no. ZA081044
Information we may collect from you:
G&G will maintain a database of the information that members submit when they join. That
information will be kept private and will not be shared with any third party apart from the one
- When an offer for an activity is accepted the 'giver' and 'getter' are given each other's telephone numbers and email addresses so that they can contact each other to complete the activity.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- Details of activities you carry out through G&G.
- Details of your visits to the G&G site.
- We may collect aggregate information about our members, which may be used for marketing and advertising, but individuals will not be identified.
- We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
In order to log in to the site cookies must be enabled on your browser. A cookie is a small file which is stored on your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer. They enable you...
- to register for the site, to log in to the site and to maintain a logged in session.
- to store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our site according to your individual interests.
- to speed up your searches.
- to be recognised when you return to the site.
- Your personal data will not be shared with companies or individuals who are not G&G members except where such information is public knowledge or it is required to be disclosed by law.
- In accordance with G&G's terms and conditions your details will only be exchanged with the relevant G&G member when you are making a transaction.
- If Giving & Getting Ltd. is acquired by a third party, the personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
- Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
- G&G will use reasonable commercial endeavours to keep all personal details such as your email address, postcode and telephone numbers confidential.
- The 'getter' must not pay for or contribute towards the cost of the petrol. The G&G website calculates the distance for a particular lift (and return for the 'giver') and works out the number of tokens, taking into account the cost of the petrol.
- If there are any other costs incurred in the activity, such as necessary parking, drop-off parking charges, toll charges, etc., these are to be paid for by the 'getter'.
- It is the responsibility of the member giving the lift to ensure that he/she has current car insurance for the vehicle being used.
- "All Association of British Insurers (ABI) motor insurers have agreed that if your passengers contribute towards your running costs your insurance cover will not be affected, as long as lifts are given in a vehicle seating eight passengers or less. This agreement does not apply if you make a profit from payments received or if carrying passengers is your business." (Source: ABI 2012).
- As members do not make any profit when giving lifts to other G&G members, providing lifts should not therefore affect your car insurance.
- G&G does not take any responsibility, gives no advice and accepts no liability for any issues regarding car insurance. If you are uncertain, then it is your responsibility to clarify your position with your own insurance company.
- The 'giver' and 'getter' in a Lift transaction should ensure, prior to confirming the transaction, that any special needs are specified and agreed.
- G&G make no checks whatsoever of members' driving licences, authorisations, and vehicles (including whether they are roadworthy and whether current MoT certificates and insurances are held). You are advised, therefore, to satisfy yourself that the person or persons with whom you may travel are suitable and that the driver holds a valid driving licence, insurance and an MoT certificate for their vehicle.
Borrowing and lending policy
- Lenders and borrowers do so by agreement between themselves and accept all the risks involved. Although G&G provide the mechanism for borrowing to happen, G&G accept no liability for any misrepresentation, or damage to property and/or person. G&G do not provide insurance for any such damage. Members wanting insurance should take out their own.
- If you make a specific offer to lend a particular item then you must do your best to describe the item accurately.
All items that you offer to lend must...
- be owned exclusively by you and capable of delivery or collection as agreed between the relevant members, be in good condition and repair and safe to keep and use.
- where appropriate be accompanied by manufacturer's instructions for use.
- not be Prohibited Goods. Prohibited Goods means any item which is illegal or the lending of which is illegal or restricted in the country in which the G&G website is being used or the transaction is taking place, and any other item which we in our absolute discretion consider to be immoral or inappropriate.
- comply with our Acceptable Use Policy
When you borrow an item
- You must ensure that it is as described, is functioning to your satisfaction and that any marks or defects are agreed with the lender.
- The means of collection or delivery of the item is agreed with the lender.
- You must return the item by the means agreed and by the time agreed.
- You must return the item in the same condition as when collected.
In the event of damaged, or perceived damage, being done to the item while being borrowed
- Both parties should attempt to agree the extent of the damage, the responsibility for the damage and the cost of the damage. The natural expected wear and tear should be also taken into account.
- If there is agreement, the lender should be recompensed by the borrower and/or the tokens returned if appropriate.
- If there is not agreement, then G&G are unable to arbitrate. However, there is the facility on the G&G website for a member to complain about another member.
Acceptable use policy
Use of the G&G website
- You may use the G&G website only for lawful purposes.
- You may not use the G&G website in any way that breaches any relevant local, national or international law or regulation.
- You may not knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed adversely to affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.
- You may not reproduce, duplicate, copy or re-sell any part of our site.
- When members are engaging in 'giving and getting' activities with other members they must be polite and respectful to each other.
When members are engaging in 'giving and getting' activities with other members they
- divulge any other member's personal details.
- act in a discriminatory manner based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age.
- set out to deliberately deceive any other member.
- promote any illegal activity.
- be threatening, abusive or invade another member's privacy, or cause annoyance, embarrassment, inconvenience or needless anxiety.
- impersonate any other member, or misrepresent their identity.
All content submitted by members to the G&G website and all interaction between members must comply with this acceptable use policy. You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter.
When members are supplying information for offers or requests this must...
- be accurate (where they state facts).
- comply with applicable laws.
When members are supplying information for offers or requests this must not...
- contain the contact details of the member supplying the information or that of any other person.
- contain any text which is defamatory of any person.
- contain any text which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory.
- contain links to other websites.
- promote sexually explicit material or violence.
- promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age.
- be likely to deceive any other member.
- promote any illegal activity.
- be threatening, abusive or invade another member's privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety.
- be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other member.
- be used to impersonate any other member, or to misrepresent your identity.
- be used for the purpose of harming or attempting to harm minors in any way.
- be used for any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation.
- contain viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed adversely to affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.
- When members are supplying information for offers or requests this must...
Suspension & termination of membership
G&G will decide if a member has breached this Acceptable Use Policy. In that event, we reserve the right to take all or any of the following actions:
- Suspension or termination of your membership.
- Removal of requests or offers made by you on the G&G site.
- Issue of a warning to you.
- Take legal proceedings against you for reimbursement of all costs on an indemnity basis (including, but not limited to, reasonable administrative and legal costs) resulting from the breach.
- Disclosure of such information to law enforcement authorities as we reasonably feel is necessary.
- Any other action we reasonably deem appropriate.